THIS POSITION IS FILLED – YOU MAY STILL SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR OUR FILES
Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary seeks a live-in Caretaker for our vegan bed and breakfast establishment, The Guesthouse. An 1800’s era farmhouse overlooking the pastures of the Sanctuary and the mountains beyond, this venture has become an important and successful part of the organization. Check out this link to familiarize yourself with it.
The qualified candidate will be a warm and friendly presence who is comfortable handling all aspects of running a B & B including, but not limited to, managing, marketing, scheduling bookings, customer relations, and promotion of the B & B, as well as cleaning, planning menus and cooking. The position requires that you live on site at The Guesthouse. Prior experience in the hospitality or service industry is helpful but not required. The caretaker is the primary point of contact for reservations and will coordinate bookings via our online reservation system, telephone and email. Commitment to a vegan lifestyle is a requirement. The job starts in August 2013.
As a representative of the Sanctuary, the ideal candidate already is very familiar with a plant-based diet and animal rights. In short, you are very unlikely to get the job if you are not a committed vegan or at least an open-minded vegetarian.
Working weekends and some holidays will be expected since that is the highest demand for rooms. Also required, as incidental to the primary B & B duties, is a single 6-hour shift running the register and being the friendly face at the Sanctuary’s visitor center during our open season April – October (to be clear: the B&B runs all year, but the Sanctuary receives visitors to the farm on weekends only April – October and we need someone to cover either Saturday or Sunday). Days off will be taken mid-week, with flexibility based on room bookings and B & B needs. As part of the live-on staff you are also on overnight security duty, meaning that if you see or hear suspicious activities or emergency conditions at the Sanctuary you will report them.
The Caretaker role is full-time in exchange for a free room with utilities covered (electric, heat, phone, internet, laundry, streaming Netflix but no cable TV), plus a modest salary (40 hours a week @ $22k). Your private living space will be modest and so having family members or significant others permanently residing with you is not a viable option. We expect the B&B duties to take up the bulk of the time during the high season (June – October), and the ideal candidate would possess supplementary skills to fill in their spare time during the quieter season. The job includes benefits after 3 months; we pay 75% of health insurance (dental and vision are optional but affordable) and there is earned vacation time after one year.
Primary Caretaker Responsibilities & Duties:
The caretaker position requires a person who can exercise sound discretion and independent judgment as the candidate will be running the B & B business. Primary Caretaker responsibilities and duties include the following:
- Scheduling and reservation coordination
- Vegan cooking / food presentation skills (breakfast only)
- Menu planning
- Budgeting for B & B meals, needs, and supplies
- Guest services and hospitality
- Housekeeping; making beds, laundry, bathrooms
- Website content updates
- Internet promotion of the B & B
- Creative marketing and advertising coordination for B&B
- Feed and care for 2 extremely mischievous house cats
- Light-duty repairs and maintenance
- Grocery shopping and supply errands
- Keeping up with trends in the hospitality business
Primary Caretaker Qualifications:
- Commitment to and knowledge of a vegan lifestyle
- Must be a neat freak
- Strong sense of initiative and follow through
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and sound discretion in the running of a business
- Good writing skills
- Experience in Word, Excel, email, Google docs
- Social media skills in Facebook, Twitter, Flickr
- Marketing experience helpful
- Must have current driver’s license. Sanctuary vehicles may be used for job errands but not personal use. Your own transportation is highly recommended.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Basic vegan cooking and baking knowledge
- Familiarity with basic food safety rules
Supplementary skills desired for off-season free time :
During the off-season, when B & B occupancy is reduced, you will still be expected to run the B & B and engage in active promotion and marketing of the business. However, you will also be expected to assist with other Sanctuary business needs, such as any of the following:
- General administrative assistance (we would train you to assist with animal sponsorships, Internet and database administration, etc.)
- Graphics and web design support and general maintenance (WordPress, Basic HTML, Photoshop, light video and photography)
- Development assistance (tracking grants and prospective donor research)
- General farm repair and maintenance support (light carpentry and electric, basic plumbing, painting and mechanical repairs)
- Other amazing skill we haven’t realized we desperately need