Director of Development
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. YOU MAY SUBMIT A LETTER FOR US TO KEEP ON FILE FOR FUTURE VACANCIES.
Development Director, Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary
Location: New York Metro area or within driving distance to NYC and Woodstock, NY
Surrounded by the Catskill Mountains in the town made famous for peace and music, Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary provides shelter to cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, sheep, goats, and rabbits who have been rescued from cases of abuse, neglect and abandonment.
We are a place where visitors can come face to face with the animals they only know as dinner and learn about the devastating effects of modern-day agribusiness on the animals, the environment and human health. Here you can frolic with goats in a large open pasture, sit down with a pig who wants nothing more than a belly rub, cuddle with chickens who seek out your attention or get nuzzled by some very friendly sheep!
At the heart of our mission is the hands-on work of rescuing, rehabilitating and caring for farmed animal refugees — as well as educating the public about the horrific treatment of animals who are raised for food.
WFAS is driven by the simple philosophy that kindness and respect to animals is our duty and that all the creatures that share this earth are here with us and not for us.
Following 10 years of sustained growth and balanced budgets, WFAS seeks its first professional Director of Development. Currently raising more than $750,000 per year, the Sanctuary has over 340 animals in our care, a full-time staff of 12, more than 43,000 friends on Facebook, 11,000 e-newsletter subscribers, more than 7,000 visitors per year, hundreds of volunteers annually, and 2800 annual donors with gifts ranging from $5 all the way up to $100,000. The right candidate will engage supporters with the Sanctuary mission through annual giving and major gifts efforts, while also focusing on foundation and family foundation prospects. As WFAS plans for its next decade, the Director of Development will create and implement a strategy to grow annual contributed income to over $1 million annually while working with an energized Board to plan for capital expansion.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Create and implement development strategies to sustain and increase major gifts, annual membership support, online giving, event sponsorship, and foundation grants.
- Collaboration with Executive Director and Board to identify, cultivate, and solicit donors in the region, in NYC, and nationally.
- Launch donor stewardship efforts to deepen relationships and educate donors on the impact of gifts.
- Formalize prospect management processes to maximize giving and increase contact between leadership prospects and donors and the Sanctuary staff and board members
- Lead philanthropic communications efforts including messaging for online giving and annual appeals, and the creation of support materials for specific projects across the priorities of animal care and rescue, animal protection advocacy, and visitor experience and education. Audiences for such proposals include major gifts prospects and foundation funders.
- Experience in animal protection causes preferred
- Three to five years of fundraising and development experience required
- Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive resource development plan that is sustainable
- Superior oral and written communications skills, with experience creating successful written donor communications and marketing materials
- Superb organization skills; detail oriented with strong follow-through
- Firm commitment to the mission and principles of WFAS
- Proficiency in SalesForce and social media a plus
This is a full-time position and ideally working on location here at the sanctuary, but telecommuting within a 2.5 hour radius is acceptable. Salary commensurate with experience. Please include salary requirements in cover letter.
Please email a resume, cover letter and writing samples (links OK) to this email address.
Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds.