We’re seeking a full-time maintenance manager!
This position has been filled, but you may still submit an application for our files.
This job is for an all-around handiperson who will be in charge of the structures and infrastructures of all the farm buildings, fences and vehicles on the property, including duck pond and the adjacent B&B.
The sanctuary has a never-ending list of tasks and projects and your job will be to tackle the most important ones, all the while helping the rescued animals and the people who take care of them. You’ll need to live within commuting distance to zip 12495.
Although we conduct a daily “check in” to set your priorities, many projects will be dropped in your lap with it being up to you to figure out the best, fastest and most-ecconomical way to complete them — so the job has a lot of autonomy.
- Basic carpentry and repairs – framing, small structures, all sorts of repairs — gate and latch adjustments are frequent
- Working with volunteers on large projects
- Animal transportation
- Helping set up and break down events
- Maintaining vehicles and equipment and associated records:
- Staying on top of basic lubrication, oil and filter changes
- Taking to mechanic when needed
- Seasonal switch outs – heaters in winter; fans and shade sails in summer
- Compost pile maintenance
- Snowplowing in winter (we own one)
- Light mowing/weed-wacking
- Caring for young trees on site, mulching and watering
- Very light plumbing, electric and painting (leaky faucets, replacing light switches, touch-ups)
- Be an extra cleaner on the farm during important or busy times, and help out in emergencies
- Weekly maintenance of duck pond pumps and filters
- Stay on top of general safety/fire issues
- Make sure the animals are safe from predators, and control the population of pigeons by patrolling nests
- Generally be a Jack- or Jane-of-all-Trades for whatever the animals or the Sanctuary needs
- Errands to pick up supplies, and deal with the trash and recycling
- Organize spare supplies so they are easy to locate and use
- Maintenance of a google doc that tracks the progress and completion of all tasks
- Observe our vegan policy while on Sanctuary property
- Tolerance of all sorts of weather conditions (since much of the work is outside)
- Punctuality, and a reliable set of wheels for winter driving
- You know your way around a tool shed and are familiar with all sorts of tools, and will keep the shed obsessively neat and organized so that others can find stuff
- Good aesthetic sense — no crooked light switches here!
- You are detail-oriented and able to go with the flow as different fires pop up
- Get along with a variety of staff and volunteers with varying skill-sets
- Good follow-through and completion skills
- Creative solutions to oddball problems
- Flexible schedule to allow for occasional long hours or intensive projects
A plus if you have any of these:
- Mechanical skills beyond routine maintenance
- Advanced carpentry or electrical skills
- Farm and/or farm animal experience
- Landscaping or gardening chops
- Being really good at backing up trailers
The job is 40 hours/week and is typically Monday – Friday. However there will be times we need you to work with volunteers who are only available on weekends, and so some Saturdays and/or Sundays may be scheduled in and then weekdays taken off. The salary is $12 – $14/hour depending upon experience, overtime is paid after 40 hours. We offer vacation time after 1 year and pay 75% of individual health insurance (not family coverage) after the completion of your 3-month probationary period. Details on insurance here.
NO CALLS PLEASE